RevierSport Cup - Wattenscheid 2007

Last updated : 22 July 2007 By Andyboy
Queen's Park's twenty three strong travelling Spangle Army took to the terraces for the beginning of the opening game which involved Queen's and Dusiburg outfit VfB Homberg.

It quickly became a tousy affair after a poor challenge on Alan Trouten by the Homberg number six left the Queen's midfielder writhing in agony on the ground. This sparked a twenty man bout of handbags on the farside which was quickly resolved, but Homberg's dirty tricks campaign was frustrating the Queen's backroom staff and the players and fans and a blatant dive led to Homberg being awarded a penalty just before half time.

Up stepped the floppy haired Homberg number nine whose penalty was originally saved by Cairns but the rebound was knocked in by the big forward first time leaving Cairns with absolutely no chance of saving the ball.

Queen's Park fought back and Robert Dunn headed narrowly over the bar and both Alan Trouten and Mark Ferry forced quality saves from the Homberg keeper. After the interval the tactics of Homberg saw this one descend into farce and the Duisburg side saw out a 1-0 win.

GAME ONE - Queen's Park 0 - 1 VfB Homberg

Next up was the encounter between the two German sides in the Lorheidestadion, Homberg and Wattenscheid. Watt dominated from the beginning and missed a number of chances throughout the match. The closest they came was when the Watt number 9 beat the keeper but couldn't beat the crossbar with a towering header.

Homberg were firmly on the back foot as Wattenscheid continued to pile on the pressure but the Black and Whites couldnt find the net, with Abadul missing a couple of decent opportunities and Dorus fluffed an overhead kick from close range, the 0-0 draw all but have Homberg the title, unless Watt could beat QP by two clear goals.

GAME TWO - SG Wattenscheid 0 - 0 VfB Homberg

Both sets of fans, both Queen's Park and Wattenscheid gathered in the huge terrace on the farside of the Lorheidestadion and made a lot of noise ahead of the big one between Wattenscheid and Queen's Park, and with Watt holding a 1-0 all time lead over QP, Spiders players would have been up for this one.

The game was played in a friendly spirit and Queen's missed a number of opportunites towards the start through Dunn, Ferry and Colquhoun but Spiders took the lead through a stunning 25 yard strike from Stuart Kettlewell which rippled past the Wattenscheid keeper and into the net.

The game was played at a pretty pedestrian pace and neither side could further add to the score as the tournament ended with Homberg winners and Queen's and Wattenscheid falling behind respectively in 2nd and 3rd.

GAME THREE - SG Wattenscheid 0 - 1 Queen's Park

The teams all recieved trophies for their efforts and all the fans and players mingled post match in the Lorheidestadion, before The Spiders players, fans and officials flew home early doors to Glasgow the next morning. A fantastic week had by all and no doubt that there will be great anticipation once the next meeting of the clubs is confirmed.

QUEEN'S PARK: Alex Cowie, Mark Cairns, Paul Paton, Shaun Molloy, Mick Dunlop, Damiano Agostini, Richard Sinclair, Alan Trouten, Stuart Kettlewell, Paul Cairney, Tony Quinn, Paul McClory, Alan Harty, David Waters, Chris Colquhoun, Richard Bowers, Robert Dunn, Stephen Canning, Mark Ferry,

GOALSCORER: Stuart Kettlewell (vs Wattenscheid)


2nd Place Reviersport Cup 2007 - Lorheidestadion