Queen's Park 3 - 0 Brechin City

Last updated : 12 August 2007 By Andyboy

Queen's lined up in a now familiar 4-4-2 formation, remarkably with only two changes in personnel from the side that beat East Fife to secure promotion to the Second Division in May. David Weatherston was lining up for new club St Johnstone while David Crawford was without a club at kick off time, their places were taken by Richard Sinclair and Mark Cairns.

There was a place for one of Stark's new signings on the bench, as former Ayr United man Stuart McGrady took his place beside Alex Cowie, Shaun Molloy, Tony Quinn and Richard Bowers. Fellow new signing Martyn Ure, was in the stand.

City were on top from kick off and both Martin Johnstone and Iain Russell came close, with the latter forcing a sharp stop from new number one Mark Cairns. It was Queen's however who managed to take the lead after 14 minutes. After a neat passing move, Paul Paton knocked the ball up the right wing and as it bounced high in front of him, Stephen Canning lifted the ball up and over Craig Nelson in the City goal to spark celebrations for what was Queen's first goal in the Second Division since 2001.

Kevin Byers forced a stunning save from Mark Cairns for Brechin and the Angus side failed to take advantage of a run of corners just before half time, which meant that Queen's went in at the interval ahead.

Queen's began to turn on the style after the break and some of their passing football was immense. Kettlewell got in behind the defence but shot over. Queen's did double their lead in controversial circumstances after 73 minutes. Stephen Canning was laid in by Trouten and as he broke into the box he went over under minimal contact from Brechin defender Barry Callaghan. Referee Stephen Nicholls pointed to the spot however, and penalty specialist Alan Trouten made no mistake from 12 yards.

Brechin were finished after 79 minutes when another controversial penalty award allowed Trouten to net the third. Paton played the long ball to Trouten who looked miles offside and as City's fans, players and officials screamed for a flag, Alan broke through and when he attempted to round Craig Nelson he was brought down by the City keeper and he found himself sent off for his troubles.

Sub keeper Chris McLuskey got a touch to Trouten's spot kick but couldnt keep it out. Stark gave a debut to new boy McGrady towards the end as Queen's made a perfect start to the season!

QUEEN'S PARK: Mark Cairns, Paul Paton, Mick Dunlop, Damiano Agostini, Richard Sinclair, Alan Trouten, Stuart Kettlewell, Paul Cairney (Tony Quinn), Paul Ronald (Richard Bowers), Stephen Canning (Stuart McGrady), Mark Ferry

SUBS NOT USED: Alex Cowie, Shaun Molloy

GOALSCORERS: Stephen Canning (14), Alan Trouten (pen 73, pen 79)


REFEREE: Stephen Nicholls