Queen's Park 1 - 1 Brechin City

Last updated : 24 August 2008 By Andyboy
Following last week's victory at East Fife, boss Gardner Speirs made two changes. Paul Cairney, returning from suspension, replaced Stuart McGrady and Damiano Agostini, who had narrowly passed a late fitness test replaced Richard Sinclair, who has a back injury, and therefore took the captain's armband.

The first half hour of the match produced very little action, with both keepers being called upon very sporadically. DC Dogg in the Spiders goal had to deal with one or two bread and butter crosses, while Brechin netminder Craig Nelson, nearly made a hash of two tame long rangers, but managed to collect the ball on both occasions, after an initial spill. It took 35 minutes for the first real opportunity, Neil Janzcyk's free kick just clearing David Crawford's right hand post. Queen's best first half opportunity came moments later, and Adam Coakley should have opened the scoring.

A cross from the overlapping Barry Douglas was met by Coakley, unmarked at the far post, but he sent his header well over the bar, when he should have given Spiders the lead. Brechin also then created a great chance minutes later, and Queen's were thankful to see it somehow miss the target. Byres fired a cross over from the right hand side straight to Gary Twigg, three yards from goal. He should have netted, but somehow didn't, and it was a real let off for Queen's Park.

With the last action of an uneventful first period, a good move involving Douglas and Quinn, ended with Cairney blazing over from the edge, when he really should have tested Brechin's veteran goalkeeper.

Queen's made no changes for the second period following the bland first half. We could have been ahead within two minutes, Dunlop put the ball across and Tony Quinn screwed the ball wide from three yards. Forward Iain Diack then tested David Crawford with a low shot, after good work with the Brechin midfield. Coakley then fired over following a good run up the left wing, before David Crawford's sclaffed clearance almost cost us a goal, but no one could follow up after he rebounded a clearance off the body of Iain Diack.

With 58 minutes gone, the deadlock was broken, by Brechin. After a good bit of defending, Queen's embarked on a move forward which ended with Tony Quinn's twenty yarder being well saved by Craig Nelson, the rebound fell to John Neill on the edge of the penalty area, who after stepping inside a defender, saw his curling effort brilliantly saved by the spring heeled Nelson. This led to a counter attack, Diack's cross found Nimmo at the back post. He sclaffed his attempt on goal across the six yard box, and Garry Twigg was lucky enough to be in position to sidefoot it past Crawford. 1-0 to City, and Queen's needed to find second gear.

We should have had a penalty minutes later, when Murie clearly handled Coakley's cross, but somehow referee Steven O'Reilly, managed to wave away the appeals, and Brechin got off the hook. We should have levelled minutes later as well, Ross Dunlop mishitting a Quinn knockdown from four yards, straight into the keeper's arms. We made a double change on 72 minutes, Paul Harkins and Coakley being replaced by Robert Dunn and debutant David Murray.

On 74 minutes, Brechin should have put the game beyond doubt, Agostini, the last man, was dispossesed on the half way line, and Charlie King raced in on goal. He was one-on-one all the way but fired his shot well wide of the mark when he should have scored. Brechin would have regretted this, when on 82 minutes Queen's secured a well deserved point, Barry Douglas hammering a twenty yard free kick right past Nelson and into his top right corner. Next up for Queen's, is a trip to new league leaders Ayr United.

QUEEN'S PARK: David Crawford, Martin Ure, Barry Douglas, Damiano Agostini, Jamie Brough, Paul Cairney, Paul Harkins (Robert Dunn), Tony Quinn, Adam Coakley (David Murray), John Neill, Ross Dunlop

SUBS NOT USED: Andy Boslem, Zander Cowie (gk)

GOALSCORER: Barry Douglas (82)

BOOKING: Damiano Agostini

REFEREE: Stevie O'Reilly


MAN OF THE MATCH: Barry Douglas