Queen's Park 1 - 0 Berwick Rangers

Last updated : 30 September 2007 By Andyboy
Billy Stark made a few changes from the side that lost 1-0 at Peterhead last weekend, in came Stephen Canning, Richard Sinclair and Damiano Agostini who missed the match through illness and suspension to replace Stuart McGrady, Martin Ure and the injured Stephen Reilly.

Queen's had the first real opportunity after only three minutes. Stevie Canning hit a drive reminscent to the memorable Firhill free kick against East Fife last season, and Gary O'Connor threw the ball upwards and back into the mixer and Alan Trouten had his rebound blocked by Chris McGroarty.

Berwick had a shot fly just wide on the 15 minute mark through Swanson when he dropped the shoulder and ran through the Spiders defence, but that the last real action of the half until around 34 minutes. Little dragging a shot wide of the mark after a neat Berwick passing interchange.

Queen's had a chance on 42 minutes when Stevie Canning's wayward shot was backheeled on target by Tony Quinn but O'Connor caught the ball well despite no doubt seeing it late. Berwick however missed two sitters before the half was out. Iain Thomson missed from around twelve yards before Iain Diack missed maybe chance of the season.

Mark Cairns found himself under pressure from Swanson's deep cross and with Bolochoweckyj hammering in at the back he spilled the ball at Diack's feet, six yards out, open goal he hammered it high and wide. A real let off from Queen's.

Billy Stark shaked things up slightly with the introduction of Martin Ure in place of Richard Sinclair through injury. Dunlop moved inside to partner Big D and Ure stepped in at left back. Queen's had a real chance after 51 minutes. Richard Bowers dropped a cross on top of Ferry, he fantastically met it on the volley as it dropped only to see his goalbound effort blocked by Bolochoweckyj. Mick Dunlop then dropped a left foot volley narrowly wide after a mishit "Ferry corner" from the left. Queen's made a change after that, on came Stuart McGrady for Richard Bowers.

The game petered out a bit after this flurry of action but Queen's stepped it up again in 71 minutes, and took the lead. Fine play from Martin Ure saw him skip by Thomson after cutting inside from the left, he poked a fine through ball to Ferry, whose toe-poke on the turn went under Gary O'Connor and into the net. Bedlam in the stands, Queen's were ahead and we should have built on it.

Stevie Canning's excellent turn and left foot strike hammered off the post to safety and then Tony Quinn's excellent header dropped agonsingly wide of the mark. Berwick made the expected breaks forward but Queen's held on for a fanastic victory.

QUEEN'S PARK: Mark Cairns, Paul Paton, Mick Dunlop, Richard Sinclair (Martin Ure), Damiano Agostini, Alan Trouten, Richard Bowers (Stuart McGrady), Paul Cairney, Tony Quinn, Mark Ferry

SUBS NOT USED: Alan Harty, Shaun Molloy, Scott Murray

GOALSCORER: Mark Ferry (71)

BOOKED: Paul Paton


REFEREE: Craig Charleston