Peterhead 1 - 0 Queen's Park

Last updated : 25 September 2007 By Andyboy
Queen's knew they would be without Paul Ronald, Robert Dunn, Stuart Kettlewell and Richard Sinclair prior to making the trip north but there were dealt with two further blows early on Saturday morning. Top scorer Stephen Canning and defender Damiano Agostini were both unfit to play due to illness and this meant that Billy Stark named an unfamiliar side.

Mark Cairns kept his place in goal despite looking suspect at both of Alloa's goals the previous week and in defence were Paul Paton, Mick Dunlop, the returning Stephen Reilly and youngster Martin Ure, making his first Spiders start. The Midfield consisted of Alan Trouten, Paul Cairney, Mark Ferry and Stuart McGrady while Tony Quinn operated just behind lone front man Richard Bowers.

Queen's were the better side in the early exchanges and Richard Bowers forced a dramatic flying catch from eccentric Polish goalkeeper Michael Kula very early on. Peterhead did begin to threaten however and Mark Cairns did well to hold a whipped corner despite being under immense pressure from both Komininski and McKay, but it was maybe over confidence on Cairns' part which gifted the Highlander's an opening goal, on 23 minutes.

A cross into the box was palmed straight to the feet of Stuart McKay by Cairnsy, and from twelve yards out McKay slid the ball into an empty net. Mark Ferry then produced a decent stop from Kula as Queen's looked for an equaliser before Bowers dragged an effort narrowly wide with Kula beaten.

There was little more action in the game before half time and Queen's were no doubt feeling hard done by as they had been the better side throughout the first period. Queen's were on top from the beginning of the second forty five minutes also.

Kula nearly gifted Richard Bowers the leveller after 47 minutes when he palmed the ball out to Richard twenty five yards out he took a touch and tried to lift it into the net, but the swirling wind took the ball out for a Peterhead throw in, instead of being the goal it would have been in better conditions. The defence switched off moments later when Kozminski broke through but the Pole's fierce effort was tipped round the post well by the acrobatic Cairns.

There was a body blow for Queen's on 57 minutes when Stephen Reilly limped off with yet another injury, this time he was holding his back, not good news for Queen's Park fans and on came Shaun Molloy to replace him and take his place in a bizzare looking back four.

Good work involving Ure, Molloy and McGrady ended with Shaun crossing for Trouten at the back post, his volley seemed goalbound until it met the back of immensely experienced and overweight centre half, Bobby Mann. Queen's got what seemed to be a boost when Kozminski was given a second booking after diving over a challenge from Dunlop but Queen's never looked like getting the goal despite the man advantage.

Tony Quinn came closest heading just wide from three yards on 86 minutes but the ball dipped just outside Kula's left hand post. Not many positives i'm afraid but Stuart McGrady did have his best game in a Queen's shirt while Martin Ure looks a handy prospect in defence. Queen's take on Berwick next week at Hampden, no doubt hoping that they will be able to restore their full side to the field.

QUEEN'S PARK: Mark Cairns, Paul Paton, Mick Dunlop, Stephen Reilly (Shaun Molloy), Martin Ure, Alan Trouten, Stuart McGrady, Paul Cairney, Tony Quinn, Richard Bowers, Mark Ferry

BOOKED: Tony Quinn, Mick Dunlop

REFEREE: Stephen Finnie