Berwick Rangers 1 - 4 Queen's Park

Last updated : 16 April 2008 By Andyboy
Queen's condemned rivals Cowdenbeath to the relegation play offs, and secured a second season in Division Two due to a fantastic victory at Shielfield Park, against already relegated Berwick Rangers.

The 72 hour re-arrangement of this clash didn't help Queen's Park's injury woes, with Robert Dunn, Paul Ronald, Richard Sinclair and Stephen Reilly still out through injury. Also, skipper Stuart Kettlewell was still out through suspension.

Berwick began brighter, surprisingly, and keeper Zander Cowie made a great save to deny Berwick early on. Queen's were ahead however, after nine minutes. Canning was sent up the left by John Neil's neat pass, and his high cross was headered into the top corner of the net, by the stooping Paul Cairney, twelve yards out. A fantastic goal, which was set to secure Queen's position in Division Two, especially with the news that Airdrie United were beating Cowdenbeath 1-0 at New Broomfield.

Everything looked rosy in the camp, until Berwick equalised on 39 minutes, and the seeds of doubt began to sprout in the minds of the Queen's support once again. Keegan Ayres looked suspiciously offside when he collected Kevin McLeish's through pass, but he hammered the ball past Cowie from ten yards to level the scores. Four minutes later however Queen's were ahead again. Defensive midfielder turned goal machine Tony Quinn rose to meet Alan Trouten's cross at the near post and flicked his header past Logan from a few yards, to make it three goals from three games. Less than a minute later, and it was game over. Quinn again was on hand to score, poking a loose ball past Logan from six yards. News came through that Cowdenbeath were now two down at Airdrie, and safety was all but secured.

Queen's wrapped it up completely just after the break and secured our safety, barring a miracle. Agostini, McGrady and Trouten linked up, before Kevin McLeish sent a cross spinning past his own keeper and into the net. Queen's could have made it even worse for the hosts, Canning, Cairney, Quinn and substitute Torrance all having chances to make it five, but mercy was shown on the Berwick side and Queen's were safe.

QUEEN'S PARK: Zander Cowie, Paul Paton, Stephen Canning, Jamie Brough, Damiano Agostini, Alan Trouten, Stuart McGrady (David Torrance), Paul Cairney, Tony Quinn, John Neill, Mark Ferry

SUBS NOT USED: Mark Cairns (g/k), Martin Ure, Richard Bowers, Shaun Molloy

GOALSCORERS: Paul Cairney (9), Tony Quinn (43,44), Kevin McLeish OG (49)


REFEREE: Calum Murray

MAN OF THE MATCH: Paul Cairney