Alloa Athletic 2 - 0 Queen's Park

Last updated : 18 September 2007 By Andyboy
Billy Stark made a couple of changes from the side that flopped at Shire before the international break. Shaun Molloy replaced the suspended Richard Sinclair and Alan Trouten took his place in the team after a suspension of his own, replacing big Tony Quinn who dropped to the bench.

It didn't start well for Queen's and within 45 seconds the home side should have taken the lead on the plastic pitch. Andy Ferguson cracked a volley off the crossbar before Ross Clark had the rebounded effort bundled off the line by Paul Paton.

Athletic were miles on top and there was no surprise when their sustained early pressure was rewarded, with the 11th minute opener. A free kick into the box troubled Cairns who flapped widly as towering striker Chris Townsley headed down and Andy Ferguson knocked the ball into the empty net. Another goal from a set piece conceded, something becoming a bit of a trend for Queen's as of late.

Stevie Canning hooked a volley over from seven yards on the turn for Queen's first real chance of the game before Paul Cairney's free kick forced a decent save off of ex Hamilton keeper Raymie Jellema in the Wasps goal.

We were continuing to struggle with set pieces and after 27 minutes Alloa deservedly doubled their advantage. Another set piece, another awful attempt at defending, another Cairns flap and another Wasps goal. Chris Townsley poking the ball home from two yards at the back post. The half then petered out into nothingness but both Paul Paton and Mark Ferry could have hauled Queen's back into contention. First Paton drove a shot of the side netting before Ferry's tame back post header was collected by Jellema.

Richard Bowers replaced Shaun Molloy at half time and Stevie Canning was moved back to left back with Bowers slotting in up front. Ferry forced a decent stop out of Jellema before Richard Bowers shot was held well by the impressive Alloa keeper. Bowers then drove over from twelve yards after wonderfully beating Ross Clark before Stark shuffled his pack more.

The innefectual duo of Stuart McGrady and Paul Cairney, replaced by Tony Quinn and ex Rangers kid Martin Ure, making his Queen's first team debut. Ure was straight into action, earning a booking for a foul on Andrew before his good play nearly set up a Queen's goal.

His attempt at a dig from thirty yards spun off Clark and set up Canning who forced an instinctive save from Jellema from six yards, the follow up presented itself to Tony Quinn who was also brilliantly denied by the big keeper. Queen's skipper Kettlewell was then sent off in injury time for a kick on Joe Andrew before the referee blew for full time on what was a horrible day for the Spiders squad.

QUEEN'S PARK: Mark Cairns, Paul Paton, Mick Dunlop, Shaun Molloy (Richard Bowers), Damiano Agostini, Alan Trouten, Stuart Kettlewell, Paul Cairney (Tony Quinn), Stuart McGrady (Martin Ure), Stephen Canning, Mark Ferry

SUBS NOT USED: Scott Murray, Stevie Reilly

BOOKED: Martin Ure, Paul Paton

SENT OFF: Stuart Kettlewell

REFEREE: Scott MacDonald



Pic: Michael Cameron