SFL Playoff Final 2nd Leg - East Fife 0 - 3 Queen's Park

Last updated : 14 May 2007 By Andyboy
The general consensus among the 1600 fans who had packed into New Bayview for this one is that the opening goal would be vital, and it took only 3 minutes for that to come, and it was one to savour for the Queen's support.

The ball was cleared by an East Fife defender and right back Paul Paton met it on the volley 35 yards out and the ball flew past the outstretched John Dodds to settle the outrageous pre match nerves. Despite having a three goal aggregate lead, many Spiders fans still didn't believe that this was the end of the match and if Paul Walker's finishing had been sharper on two occasions with the first half coming to a halt, the Fifers would have closed the gap by two.

Queen's started the second half on the upper hand and David Weatherston had a powerful header saved by the outstretched Dodds but on 70 minutes, Queen's all but secured promotion. David Weatherston's cross dropped to the feet of Alan Trouten and he unleashed a powerful shot which rattled the underside of the bar and bobbled narrowly over the line. The Spiders fans started chanting about the impending promotion, they knew it was all over and the hero last time Queen's clinched promotion, Frankie Carroll put the icing on the cake with the last action of his Spiders career.

Sub Carroll passed the ball to Robert Dunn on the halfway line and Dunn exchanged the favour with a stunning through ball, Carroll continued his run, met the ball and drilled it low past Dodds from 20 yards to secure Second Division football will be coming to Hampden Park next season. The players and fans partied the night away back in Glasgow.

A day.... and night to remember!

QUEEN'S PARK: David Crawford, Paul Paton, Mick Dunlop, Alan Trouten (Frankie Carroll), Damiano Agostini, Stephen Canning, Stuart Kettlewell, Paul Cairney, Paul Ronald (Robert Dunn), David Weatherston (Tony Quinn), Mark Ferry

SUBS NOT USED: Mark Cairns, Stephen Reilly

GOALSCORER(S): Paul Paton (3), Alan Trouten (70), Frankie Carroll (89)

BOOKED: Paul Paton, Mick Dunlop, Stephen Canning

REFEREE: Willie Collum