SFL Playoff Final 1st Leg - Queen's Park 4 - 2 East Fife

Last updated : 14 May 2007 By Andyboy
Spiders started on the front foot and Mark Ferry came close with a high drive from the edge of the area which just narrowly cleared the crossbar. Trouten and Weatherston also came close before East Fife thought they had taken the lead.

A deep corner was met by Jonny Smart whose header beat David Crawford all ends up but referee John Underhill blew for a push by O'Reilly on DC as the ball flew across the box. Queen's came out all guns blazing after this decision and took the lead on 30 minutes.

Hampshire brought down Canning on the edge of the box and Stevie picked himself up and drilled the ball low to the left of the well beaten keeper John Dodds and into the net to spark manic celebrations at an atmospheric Firhill. Queen's continued the pressure and Weatherston had a shot saved by Dodds before on the stroke of half time Queen's doubled their advantage.

A smart corner involving Ferry, Cairney and Paton ended up with the ball being floated in and Mick Dunlop sent a powerful header crashing past Dodds, cue outrageous celebrations from an ecstatic Dunlop, his team-mates and the huge Spiders support. Queen's started strongly in the second half and without 9 minutes the lead was stretched to 3 goals!

Stevie Canning drilled a low free kick against the wall and it looped back up towards him, Stevie caught the ball first time as it spun in the air and elegantly lifted the ball over John Dodds and into the bottom corner of the net. Game over surely said the Spiders fans, not quite as within seconds Lloyd Young had driven home a low shot from 12 yards after Paul Paton and Mick Dunlop failed to clear the danger in the box.

Paul Cairney however, extended the lead once more with a fantastic goal on the 70th minute mark. Mark Ferry played him in with a stunning reverse pass and Cairney drilled the ball low past Dodds after dummying a pass towards the onrushing Trouten. Genius from the young midfielder. Now all Queen's needed to do was see out the game and they were all but in the Second Division but Dave Baikie's spirited Fifers side had other ideas.

A long whipped free kick by Young was met by the head of Jonny Smart who powered by Crawford with a textbook header to keep the tie wide open and it will no doubt be an interesting match at New Bayview next week.

QUEEN'S PARK: David Crawford, Paul Paton, Mick Dunlop, Alan Trouten, Damiano Agostini, Stephen Canning, Stuart Kettlewell, Paul Cairney, Paul Ronald (Robert Dunn), David Weatherston, Mark Ferry

SUBS NOT USED: Mark Cairns, Stephen Reilly, Shaun Molloy, Richard Bowers

GOALSCORER(S): Stephen Canning (30, 54); Mick Dunlop (45); Paul Cairney (70)

REFEREE: John Underhill


MAN OF THE MATCH: Stephen Canning